Fruit Picking in Australia & COVID-19
The coronavirus pandemic that started in 2019 has affected the world in a significant way. Unfortunately, Australia was not left behind as this virus ravished the whole world. With millions of deaths already recorded across the globe, the pandemic affected a major shift in the way things were done.
Predominantly to prevent the spread of the virus, a wide range of restriction orders were mandated by the government. These restrictions limited travel across Australia. In the same vein, various state governments moved to install localised initiatives to combat the spread of the virus.
One industry that was significantly affected is the fruit picking industry. Generally, fruit picking requires the movement of people from one area or region to the others. This was naturally against a lockdown order that significantly restricted the movement of people across different regions.
Luckily, in the last couple of weeks, there has been positive updates upon the easing of the existing restrictions as Australia is closer than ever to pre-pandemic life. This is great news for fruit pickers across Australia as they can begin to gear up to maximise the upcoming seasons.
Regardless, while the various restrictions are being eased, it remains the responsibility of everyone to ensure that we continue to maintain the relevant safety measures. This is because failure to do so can result in a rise in the incidence of the virus, which will only lead back to more restrictions.
As such, at Fruit Picking Australia, we encourage fruit pickers across Australia to maintain the best safety standards as provided by the relevant authorities. As our contribution to a COVID-19 free Australia, here is some information that can help.
Symptoms of COVID-19
The following are the symptoms associated with COVID-19.
- Dry cough
- Pains and aches
- Sore throat
- Loss of smell or taste
- Discolouration of toes or fingers, or a rash on the skin
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Chest pressure or pain
- Loss of movement or speech
How to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19
Here are some tips that will help you prevent the spread of the virus in your community.
- Ensure that you clean and wash your hands regularly. It would be best for you to use water and soap to do this. You can also use an alcohol-based rub
- Ensure that you always cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or your elbow if you sneeze or cough
- Ensure that you always wear a mask anytime that you realise physical distancing is impossible
- Avoid touching your nose, mouth or your eye
- Ensure that you keep a safe distance from people who are sneezing or coughing
- Avoid going out if you don’t feel too good
- If you find yourself with a cough, difficulty in breathing or fever, ensure you seek medical attention
You can find out more concerning the current situation of COVID-19 in the following territory through this link.
- Australian Capital Territory
- Northern Territory
- New South Wales
- Western Australia
- South Australia